Phil Nostrand is the latest attorney to join the Law Offices of John F. Lang, PLLC. He is also the newest attorney having come to the practice of law following a twenty-year career in the U.S. Air Force where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Mr. Nostrand chose the legal profession as his “second career” because he is passionate about helping others in a meaningful way. His administrative, analytic, and collaborative skills honed over the years allow him to quickly grasp the complexities of clients’ difficult situations and creatively develop and implement the strategies necessary to achieve their goals.
As an attorney with his own practice Mr. Nostrand provided counsel to a veteran-run non-profit committed to serving struggling veterans. This led him to focus his practice on estate planning and administration for veterans and the first-responder community. Mr. Nostrand is also particularly dedicated to protecting the rights of disabled individuals assisted by service animals.
Bar Admission: New York
- J.D., Rutgers School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, 2011
- Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant, 2010-2011
- M.S. (Public Administration), Auburn University at Montgomery, Alabama, 1995
- Member of Pi Alpha Alpha®, Global Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration
- M.S. (Space Operations), Air Force Institute of Technology, Dayton, Ohio, 1984
- BS (Meteorology), Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, New Brunswick, NJ, 1981
- 4-year ROTC Scholarship
- Certificate of Paralegal Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University, 2005
- Honors Graduate, Member of Lambda Epsilon Chi, National Paralegal Honor Society
- Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, 1995
- Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, 1986
- New York State Bar Association, Member of the Sections on Trust and Estate Law.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member of the Committee for Military Law and Justice.
- Orion Resource Group.
- Military Officers Association of America.
- Associates of Vietnam Veterans of America, with VVA Chapter 126.
- Moderator, Legal Issues Concerning Animals and the Military, New York City Bar, June 21, 2018
- Speaker, Is That a Service Dog, an Emotional Support Animal, or an Imposter? Ramapo Kennel Club, Pequannock, NJ, October 11, 2017
- Participated in veteran legal services event sponsored by Fordham Law School, October 2018.
- Represents veteran seeking to upgrade less-than-honorable discharge status, ongoing.
- Advisor to Veterans Are Still Warriors, Veterans Serving Veterans, a non-profit dedicated to helping vets navigate NYC bureaucracy (e.g., housing, family), 2012-2015.
- Chair of Architecture Review Committee for Glen Wild Lake [condo] Association, responsible for preserving aesthetics around 120-acre lake. Drafted rules & regulations that improved application and authorization process as unit owners transitioned from summer cabins to year-round residents, 2008-2017.
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
- National Reconnaissance Office Superior Service Medal